Never let your child’s mouth fall into disrepair. Even though your child will not be able to brush their teeth efficiently on their own until around 6 years of age, it is important to immediately begin brushing their teeth as soon as they begin to appear. For the first few years, you will need to brush their teeth for them, but as they get older, encourage them to practice on their own until you are confident they can do so by themselves safely and effectively.
Listed below are some of the top tooth brushing methods for infants and young children:
– Brushing your child’s teeth should begin as soon as the first tooth erupts above the gum line, which typically ensues between 6-10 months of age.
– The child’s first visit to their pediatrician for an oral examination should arise before they turn 1 years old.
– Always make sure your child’s toothpaste has been permitted by their pediatrician or has the ADA Seal of Acceptance from the American Dental Association.
– For children under 3 years old, use a rice-sized pinch of toothpaste, and for children 3 to 6 years old, use a pea-sized pinch of toothpaste.
– Bacteria can easily be transferred to your child through brushing utensils or other objects that you share with your child, so try to avoid sharing products between uses until they have been cleaned.
– Your child’s diet is remarkably important not only for their oral health but for their physical and mental growth as well.
If you would like to schedule an oral health care treatment for your child with Elite Dental, simply call our pediatric office at 801-763-7737 for an appointment in American Fork, Utah. Dr. Steven and Randy and the rest of our team look forward to helping correct your child’s smile so it can shine brightly for many years to come!